Frequently Asked Questions

Edmonds Development Permitting During the COVID-19 Emergency

Effective Tuesday, March 17 — and until further notice — City Hall is CLOSED for general public access
City Staff will continue to perform permitting activities while limiting in-person contact during the emergency.

FOR GENERAL INQUIRIES:  please contact the Development Services Department at or by phone at 425-771-0220


          June 5, 2020 - Snohomish County was approved to enter Phase 2. 

          Visit the Construction & Inspections Page for information on complying with the Governor's Phase 2 Construction Restart.


ELECTRONIC PERMIT SUBMITTALS: Visit the Apply For A Permit Page for inquiries related to electonic plan submittals and review of applications.  

This page contains information on a few subjects that often come up, such as:

 Make sure you are inside City Limits before applying for a permit here.



Building a new house?

Building a new house is a major undertaking and there are a number of regulations and codes that must be accounted for in the planning and scheduling . To expedite the process the Development Services team has compiled a general handout for New Single Family that includes the most common considerations.

Some questions to address in preparing your project might include:

    • What are the setback and height limitations?
    • Are there special storm water concerns with my property?
    • Is my property located in the Edmonds Earth Subsidence and Landslide Hazard Area, which requires special geotechnical review.
Doing a remodel or addition?

Remodeling can vary from re-doing a room to adding a significant amount of new floor area, and the review and permitting will vary accordingly. Many of the questions listed under new house construction would be applicable to larger remodels/additions. Minor projects can usually be handled with a limited review and quick turnaround.  Residential remodel/addition information.

Adding a Deck or Patio?

Decks and patios are subject to setbacks as required by the zoning code and may require a building permit, depending on height, location and construction.

Building a fence?

Fences are typically located on private property. Private property boundaries may not be clear so it is important to know exactly where the property lines are before proceeding. Fence permits may be required under certain circumstances. More information is available here.

Whatever project you have in mind you can contact our development services staff to assist in preparing your permit submission.

 arrow-b Return to top of page...



Building a new commercial building?

New commercial construction  typically requires review by building, planning, fire and engineering.  It is recommended that you schedule a meeting with our Development Review Committee to go over your project early in the concept/design phase to help expedite the project.

Want to do a tenant improvement?

A tenant improvement can vary in scope and the permitting and review required to be completed will vary accordingly.  You may wish to contact our Development Services Staff to assist in planning your project.

Need a sign?

A sign permit is required for most signs.  One of our Planning Staff can assist with your signage.

 arrow-b Return to top of page...


to-do-iconWhen is a Building Permit required?

A building permit is required for any new construction, remodel, repair, demolition, change in use or conversion. Specific exemptions are provided for minor work. It is best to contact the Development Services staff prior to beginning work to verify if a permit is needed.

 arrow-b Return to top of page...


to-do-iconI’m interested in Green Building.

Interested in installing solar panels? Options for including LID in your project?

LID (Low Impact Development) is encouraged and can lower your costs for expensive on-site stormwater storage and treatment. Engineering can provide more information.

Solar panels offer increased flexibility in how we use power and the City has promoted the use of solar power in residential and commercial applications. You can find out more here. Our staff can assist with your project.

 arrow-b Return to top of page...


to-do-iconWhat options do I have to go over my project with city staff before I apply for a permit?

Informal review.Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings offer you an opportunity to go over your project with representatives from the various city departments that will review your application including: building, planning, engineering and fire. There is no charge for this service, and the discussion is informal. To explore if this is a good option contact the Development Services department at (425) 771-0220.

Formal pre-application meeting. For a fee, we offer an opportunity to obtain a more formal review of your proposal. This includes representatives of all affected departments/divisions, and you obtain more specific written comments that you can refer to after the meeting.

arrow-b Return to top of page...


Permitting Contacts

Development Services Department
121 5th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020

Phone: 425-771.0220
Fax: 425.771.0221

M, T, Th, F: 8am to 4:30pm
Wed 8:30am to Noon
The switchboard is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  425.771.0220


Building Division
Planning Division
Engineering Development Staff
Code Enforcement

Building & Code News

Streateries Information

Information on Streateries can be found here, including guidance on the rules governing them and how to obtain City approval.


Temporary Tents and Canopies

Temporary Tents and Canopies can now be applied for online at Here is the link to specific submittal information: Submittal Information


2021 Development Fees

The new Edmonds development fee schedule is available here - effective January 1, 2021.


Permit & Property Records Available Online

Are you looking for development records for a property? Click here.

The City of Edmonds is now utilizing the online portal for permit applications, inspections requests and more. is a permitting site shared with neighboring jurisdictions.  Please visit the website for more information and resources.